Sunday, August 1, 2010

Tournament Report - 7/31/10 - Gadget

Hey guys, it's GuitarSlam,

So after writing my article on Anti-Meta Gadgets a few days ago I knew that I had to give them a try at locals. They performed very well and even though the deck had a couple losses, they were extremely close (you'll see when you read it).

Round 1 - Infernity

This guy's a very good player and a cool guy. I always seem to play him close and this was no exception. It was this round that told me how well Gadgets match up against Infernities.

Game 1 - Early D-Fissure and a Banisher really slow him down. He doesn't want to make very many plays because he'll lose his monsters. He finally does, getting out a couple synchros, but Lightning Vortex wins the game shortly after.

Game 2 - He Infernity wrecked me. Mist Wurm and plenty of other synchros killed me quickly.

Game 3 - I look at my opening hand and I believe I've got game wrapped up. 2 D-Fissures, a Banisher, and a Crevice from the Different Dimension. I get set up and on his next turn he flips Imperial Iron Wall... damn it! I couldn't remove his monsters so he proceeded to Infernity wreck me again. Oh well, I was close so I'm still feeling good.

0-1

Round 2 - Blackwings

She's the only girl at our locals so I feel a little bad for her in that respect (she's there with her boyfriend but still, it must suck being the only girl). She's pretty nice though. At least she keeps a positive attitude in that situation.

Game 1 - I set a monster and pass. She opens up Sirocco, Bora, Bora, Gale... I take too much damage early and can't recover.

Game 2 - This time she opened up Sirocco, Bora, Bora. I took the damage but a Jujitsu Master top decked her Bora. Smashing Ground and a Bottomless followed and I was able to recover that strong opening play of hers. I won after a little bit.

Game 3 - I destroyed her in this duel. Bribing her Heavy and then Oppressing her needed special summons didn't leave her with any options.

1-1

Round 3 - Skill Drain

This deck really took me by surprise. Gadgets are meant to take down the meta (special summoning and mid-attack monsters until they capitalize). It was really hard to counter a deck that doesn't special summon and can throw out high attack monsters through normal summoning every turn.

Game 1 - This one was back-and-fourth for a while but I didn't have enough monster destruction in the end. Being able to summon Barbaros (3000 atk) and Dual-Mode Fuciller Beast (2800 atk) for free with Skill Drain is epic.

Game 2 - He didn't have as many big monsters and I had Smashing Grounds and Fissures out the wazoo. Gadget pokes ftw :D

Game 3 - Repeat game one but take out the back-and-fourth part. He just steamrolled me :(

1-2

Round 4 - Infernity

This kid's pretty cool and a solid trader. If you ever are looking for a specific card (or just want to trade something randomly) he'll be there and will probably find something that he'll want.

Game 1 - Neither one of us wanted to make many moves against the other (well in my case, I couldn't. He had a Necromancer in def. mode and I didn't have monster destruction >.<). He finally drew into the all important combo cards and did the loop.

Game 2
- This game was amazing for me. I drew into most of the side decked cards (2 D.D. Crows and 2 Crevice from the Different Dimensions). Every time he tried to get something from the grave I was able to remove it from play. I took away all of his options, leaving him with nothing to do but scoop.

Game 3 - This game dragged out forever. We each kept chipping away at our opponent's options until I finally got him when I Creviced his Necromancer and Beetle. One Fissure later and I held the duel in my hands until I finally won.

2-2

Round 5 - Machina Gadgets

This guy played quickly and didn't speak much. He was alright after the match though.

Game 1 - Royal Oppression owns Fortress. That combined with D-Fissure and I win games.

Game 2 - I opened with 3 Gadgets in hand so I didn't have any protection. He opened with Gearframe into 2 Fortresses... I scooped the next turn.

Game 3 - We kept trading Gadgets in battle until he tried to get out Fortress. I Oppressioned him and it was over after that.

3-2

Even though I had 2 losses, one was against Anti-Meta (Skill Drain) and one was because he drew the perfect card. I can't complain about how my deck reacts in that kind of situation. I'm planning on using this deck again at a different locals soon. We'll see how it works then :D

See you guys later.

No comments:

Post a Comment